Search This Blog

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Exercise and Pain

I can't wrap my head around doing exercise with the pain it causes me. I keep being told it will help me but I can't get past day one! I know my limitations, so the other day when the weather was in the mid 60s I took a walk. I walked around my neighborhood, out to look at the intracoastal waterway and take some pictures. There are no hills or inclines on my walk, just a straight path. I didn't take my cane, wasn't feeling like I needed it so I left it at home. I felt good after my walk, it felt good to get out in the sunshine and breathe the fresh air if only for 30 minutes doing something other than running to Walmart. The Pine trees smelled so wonderful. The sky was so blue. Everything was peaceful on the waterway. The golfers were out in full force around the course. I felt pretty good about my walk. I was pretty pleased with myself.  By the time bedtime rolled around, my hips were so painful, walking was the last thing I wanted to do. My back hurt, my hips hurt and my knee hurt! So much for wanting to take another walk anytime soon!  I have been told to do water aerobics. Well here's the thing, I tried that out this past summer and while doing those said aerobics my knee went out. Don't know if it was about to anyway but something about how I moved it that day caused it to swell and started the knee journey, the icing, the cane, the PT the injections, the removing of the fluid. Swimming doesn't seem to bother me. We have our neighborhood pool. It doesn't open until late Spring. I can swim all summer for free. It costs money to swim somewhere else in the wintertime, money I just don't have. I mean I can't pay $40 a month just to go swim 3 or 4 times a week. So here I sit thinking about trying some yoga. I think about it, I've watched some videos on youtube on restorative yoga. Some of those moves I think I can do and probably will feel better, stretching those muscles in my back help a lot. But some of those moves I will have to skip. Sitting cross legged on the floor isn't something I've been able to do since my 30s. I am going to try though. I have to try. If I don't and it really could have helped me I will have missed out. I will try and try and try from now on to do something, anything to make me healthy. I can't run a marathon but maybe I can ride my bicycle again soon around the neighborhood, this Spring, I will try. I can't go to the gym and lift weights or walk 10 miles on the treadmill or do that spinning, whatever that is, but I can try Yoga, or Tai chi or Pilates even. I will try until I find my fit. Sitting around isn't healthy. I have taken this last year trying to fight what was given to me, these diagnoses.  With fibro, the muscles hurt, the back hurts with the arach and every joint I have hurts with the Sjogren's and arthritis . Some type of exercise has to fit me and I am tired of giving in to all of this stuff. I have learned I can't be superwoman like I want to be with these conditions but I am also learning I don't have to lay around all day and pout about them either! One thing at a time, one day at a time. That is my motto now, and I am going to have to get used to it!
Love to you all,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment