Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2019

                         HAS IT BEEN THREE YEARS? 


Wow!! It's been about 3 or 4 years since I have written a thing on this blog. I suppose since my pain has somewhat been stagnant I could just let this blog go. But I don't want to. I am not a writer per se but I do like to talk sometimes about what's going on with my health. I have felt so much better the last couple of years. Not that I don't have pain, I do, but I don't have frequent flare ups like I did before and I am going to tell you why I think that is.

About two years ago I started a weight loss journey after my surgeon who did my hip replacement, fat shamed me. It had been quite a while since I had any real exercise and I had put on too much weight for my short body. He let me know that in no uncertain terms that I HAD to lose weight if I was going to have the new hip last 20 years like it should. He wanted me to have bariatric surgery. I have had many surgeries, 14 to be exact but this one bothered me. I didn't feel comfortable with it and it ate at me. I prayed and asked God to help me be sure that this was the route for me to take, but no matter what I said or did, I just couldn't shake the feeling it wasn't for me. I went to my first nutritionist meeting and I was so overwhelmed thinking about all I could have was shakes for months and if I would have the will to do it! I didn't want this surgery, it wasn't for me but I went back for my second nutritionist meeting. That's when I got my answer on the surgery. I sat down with her and she told me that the Dr. who was to do the surgery had resigned the hospital and they did not have anyone else to do that surgery and I would have to go to Charleston or Wilmington. God gave me the answer I needed to make a decision. This surgery was not for me! Charleston nor Wilmington would be convenient for me or my husband. There would be no bariatric surgery for me, I would lose the weight myself. So off to the internet I went, looking for any new diet trend I could find and there it was, KETO! The Ketogenic diet sounded so easy and doable that I jumped right in! First of all, the carbs had to go! The sugar, wheat, rice, corn etc...gone! NO bread or sweets first off just like most diets. I was shocked that this diet worked for me and two years later, I am still eating this way! I lost 60lbs on the KETO diet in a year. Now that doesn't sound like a lot to some people, but it was a lot for me! It made a world of difference in the way I feel. My fatigue lifted, my brain fog lifted and I started living again! High fat, medium protein and extra low carbs has my body a fat burning machine! I stopped losing for the last year after my thyroid surgery. I gave myself a break now and then, always dropping any weight I gained easily. I have started back on a strict KETO not dirty KETO or halfway KETO, strict KETO and I am again feeling better! If you haven't figured out how to start living with your chronic pain, look into your diet! I was never one to believe all that stuff about certain foods causing this or that but once I let them go, I am amazed how low my inflammation has been and my GI issues have been resolved. No more junky, processed foods, only the real thing for me. KETO certainly takes some getting used to, it's like you just let go of everything you've ever known about dieting! I had to learn how to dig into that big beautiful rib-eye and continue on! 
First and foremost, I give all the glory to God for my success on this journey. I thank you Father for giving me the will and fortitude to stick to eating healthier than I ever have before. This blog is just for me to release what's on my mind and tell others how I handle the everyday stuff that comes along with being chronically ill. God has changed my outlook, he has been my healer in more than one way! He can heal you too!

Take care y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment